Injuries to the ankle, knee and elbow are all common in everyday life. Sprains and muscle strains can be a result of many activities such as running, playing sports or lifting heavy objects. Every year, more than 1.4 million people are hurt from Sprains and muscle strains.
In this article, we will discuss Sprain Causes, Sprain Symptoms when to see the doctor as well as treatments available for Sprains by Dr. Naval Parikh who has been practicing medicine for over 10 years now with great success.
What are Sprains?
A sprain is a stretch or tear of a ligament, the tough bands of fibrous connective tissue that connect two bones. A strain involves an injury to muscle and tendon fibers within your body.
There are three types of sprains based on severity as follows:
Slight stretching and pain in the ligament. No swelling or bruising occurs as a result of this type of sprain.
More severe than first degree, some is tearing within the ligaments with significant pain, swelling and possible bruising around the injured area. The injury may cause your joint to feel unstable when moving it.
This is the most severe type of sprain where there is a complete tear in your ligament. You will have significant pain, swelling and bruising around the injured area as well as difficulty moving it without feeling unstable.
There are many causes of a sprain such as:
- Falling and tripping.
- Twisting or jerking motions.
- Lifting heavy objects.
- Playing sports such as basketball, baseball, soccer and football.
- Walking or running on uneven surfaces
- Falls from vehicles, such as bikes and motorcycles.
Symptoms of Sprain
There are several sprain symptoms which include:
- Pain, tenderness and swelling.
- Inability to move the injured area or feel as if it may give out.
- Deformity or an abnormal shape of the injured area.
- Change of skin color in the injured area.
- Loss of function.
- Popping or snapping sound at the time of injury.
- Bruising, possible discoloration around sprain area.
When to See a Doctor for Sprains?
Please visit the doctor if your sprain doesn’t get better after 48 hours or gets worse. You should also see your doctor if sprain symptoms are severe, the sprain is accompanied by swelling, bruising or deformity. Always consult your primary care physician if sprain symptoms persist.
There are several sprain prevention options such as:
- Wearing safety equipment when playing sports or doing heavy work around the house.
- Have safety equipment such as helmets, knee pads and gloves when bicycling, skiing or skateboarding.
- Wearing supportive shoes with shock-absorbing soles.
- Do sprain exercises to strengthen ankle, knee and elbow ligaments.
- Have your sprain joints taped or braced before engaging in sports activities.
Treatment of Sprains By Dr. Naval Parikh
There are several sprain treatments available by Dr. Naval Parikh which include:
Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation are the 4 basic elements of this sprain treatment. This sprain treatment is commonly known as RICE. It aims to reduce pain, swelling and inflammation of sprain injuries. You should always consult a sprain treatment specialist for proper sprain treatment.
Spinal Decompression Therapy
In this sprain treatment, a sprain specialist uses a special instrument called a spinal decompression table to treat sprain injuries which helps in reducing pain and inflammation as well as increasing the circulation of blood and oxygen to the sprained area. This sprain treatment is very effective and sprain patients get relief within a few sessions.
Spinal Manipulation Therapy
This sprain treatment involves spinal manipulation performed by a sprain specialist to remove excess pressure on the sprained area and promote proper body function. This sprain treatment not only relieves sprain pain but also heals sprain injuries completely leading to sprain recovery.
Massaging the sprained area helps in sprain pain relief by releasing muscle tension. Using warm water, sprain specialists massages sprain muscles and sprain ligaments which help in reducing sprain symptoms, sprain inflammation as well as sprain recovery time.
In this sprain treatment, a sprain specialist inserts very fine sprain needles in the sprain area which help in pain relief as well as sprain healing. This sprain treatment is especially effective for sprain injuries for people for whom other sprain treatments don’t work.
More sprain treatments are available by sprain specialist Dr. Naval Parikh which sprain patients can get in a sprain treatment clinic located in Deerfield Beach, Florida.
What is Muscle Strain?
Muscle strain is a “pulled muscle” or “torn muscle” caused by overworking the muscle. Strains are classified in different grades depending on how severe sprain injury is and sprain severity doesn’t always mean sprain treatment would be long term.
Muscle sprain may partially sprain or completely sprain. It sprains patients how severe sprain injury is so sprain treatment can be followed accordingly.
Causes of Muscle Strain
There are several sprain causes which include:
- Weak sprain muscles.
- Overuse of sprain muscles during work or exercise routine.
- Twisting sprain injury while playing sports.
- Lifting sprain heavy items without proper sprain protection.
- Sudden sprain injury while exercising.
Symptoms Muscle Strain
There are several muscle sprain symptoms which include:
- Sharp pain during sprain movement.
- The dull ache of sprained muscle increases with sprain movement.
- Inability to sprain or sprain completely.
- Tenderness of sprain area when sprain is severe.
When to See a Doctor for Muscle Strain?
You should always consult a sprain specialist doctor if sprain symptoms are severe, sprain doesn’t improve even after 48 hours or gets worse. Always see a primary sprain care physician if sprain treatment becomes difficult because of sprain injury severity.
- Always stretch sprain muscles before sprain workout or sprain sports.
- Don’t sprain muscle too long during sprain sports.
- Warm-up sprain muscles properly before sprain workout or sprain sports.
- Keep sprain muscles hydrated while spaining.
- Follow sprain treatment guidance by a sprain specialist.
Treatment for Muscle Strain By Dr. Naval Parik
Sprain specialist Dr. Naval Parikh offers muscle sprain treatment in his clinic located in Deerfield Beach, Florida, USA. Dr. Naval offers sprain treatments such as:
- Spinal Decompression Therapy
- Acupuncture Therapy for sprain pain relief
- Massage Therapy which sprain patients get during their sprain sessions
- Spinal Manipulation Therapy sprain patients get during sprain sessions
- Ultrasound Therapy
More muscle pain treatments are available at Deerfield Beach, Florida, USA.
For more information, please contact:
Dr. Naval Parikh Clinic:
Address: 1 West Sample Road, Suite 201. Deerfield Beach, Florida. 33064.
Phone: (954) 782-3170